If you have received a direct sinus lift, please:
- Refrain from blowing your nose for up to 4 weeks following your surgery.
- If sneezing, do not hold your nose. Keeping your eyes and mouth open when you feel a sneeze coming helps you to not sneeze.
- Take all medications as prescribed, including decongestants.
- Avoid flying in pressurized aircraft, scuba diving, bearing down when lifting heavy objects, blowing up balloons, paying musical instruments that require blowing, and any other activity that will increase nasal or oral pressure for at least 4 weeks after your surgery.
- Keep your mouth clean to reduce the risk of infection and promote more rapid healing. Beginning 24 hours after surgery, you may use warm saltwater rinses (approximately ¼ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water) after each meal, or 4-5 times a day.
- Gently brush your teeth twice each day in non-surgical areas, beginning 24 hours after your surgery.
- Rinse with the prescribed chlorhexidine mouth rinse after breakfast and before bedtime.
- Drink plenty of liquids.
- Follow a soft diet for several days after surgery. Advance to a regular diet as you become more comfortable.
- Avoid chewing or creating pressure on the bone graft site.
- Do not eat nuts or seeds until cleared to do so by our periodontist.
- Do not smoke, or use other tobacco or cannabis products for 1-2 weeks following your surgery.
- Check all appliances (dentures, partial dentures, flippers, etc.) before wearing them again. You should bring these appliances with you to your appointment so that Dr. Sean P Avera can adjust them after your surgery.
Swelling and bruising may occur. Use ice packs to diminish the swelling over the first couple of days. We recommend applying ice packs for 15 min followed by 10 min rest for 24 hours.
If you experience severe or persistent sinus or nasal congestion, please contact us.
If you experience an emergency, contact our practice. We will meet with you as soon as possible. If you call after hours, follow the instructions provided, and we will return your call as soon as possible. If your emergency is life threatening, call 911 or go to the nearest emergency room.
For more information on post-operative care for sinus lifts in Auburn and Grass Valley, California, and to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Sean P Avera, call us at 530-885-0953.