Following your crown lengthening procedure, you should:
- Avoid disturbing the area.
- Do not rinse or spit forcefully.
- Take all medications, including mouth rinses, as prescribed
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Stay away from spice, acidic, sharp, and crunchy foods (including tacos, chips, and nuts)
- Do not use tobacco products and Cannabis
- Keep physical activity to a minimum. Avoid strenuous activity for 2-3 days
- Do not brush or floss in the surgical area until instructed by our periodontist
You can expect to experience some bleeding in the first 24 hours, and may also experience swelling and bruising. Biting on a gauze pad placed directly on the wound for 30 minutes should reduce the bleeding. If you continue to bleed, contact our office. For bruising and swelling, use ice packs immediately following your surgery. Apply ice for 15 min followed by 10 min rest for 24 hours.
After 24 hours, you should be able to brush, floss, and perform other oral hygiene routines as normal in the untreated areas of your mouth. Avoid brushing and flossing at the surgical site until cleared to do so by our doctor. Use anti-inflammatory medication, antibiotics, and mouth washes as prescribed.
If you have an emergency or any questions during our regular office hours, we will meet with you as soon as possible. After our office hours, please call us at 530-885-0953 and follow the instructions provided. We will return your call as soon as possible.
If you are experiencing a serious or life-threatening emergency, call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.
For more information about post-operative care following crown lengthening in Auburn and Grass Valley, California, and to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Sean P Avera, please contact our practice.