It is normal to experience some pain, bleeding, swelling, and seeping following oral surgery. You may also experience sensitivity to heat and cold for the first 24 hours after your procedure. We recommend that you:
- Use an ice pack for the first day following your surgery. The ice pack should be placed on the outside of your face, over the surgical site. Alternate 15 min of ice followed by 10 min rest for 24 hours.
- Do NOT miss your follow-up appointment(s) with our periodontist.
- Do NOT probe the area with your tongue or fingers.
- Avoid brushing and flossing your teeth near the surgery site, but brush and floss the remainder of your mouth as instructed by our doctor.
- Do NOT eat, drink, chew, or consume foods and beverages that are extremely hot or spicy until the numbness in your mouth has worn off.
- Avoid eating all nuts or seeds until advised by our periodontist that it is ok to eat them again.
- Avoid vigorous physical exercise for 24 hours following surgery.
- Do NOT smoke, or use any tobacco or cannabis products for at least 48 hours following your procedure.
- Do NOT brush, rinse, or spit.
- Do NOT use a straw for drinking for the first 24 hours
- For the first few days following your treatment, follow a diet of soft and liquid foods. Soups, yogurt, juice, and smoothies are recommended.
Take prescribed medication as directed.
You may take mild pain relievers, such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen as needed. A warm saltwater rinse (approximately ¼ teaspoon in 8 ounces of water) may also be helpful.
If you experience excessive bleeding or discomfort after 48-72 hours, contact our office immediately at 530-885-0953.
Please follow all other instructions provided by our doctor precisely, and take all medications as prescribed.
For more information about your implant surgery in Auburn and Grass Valley, California, and to schedule a follow-up appointment with Dr. Sean P Avera, contact our practice today.