It is normal to experience bleeding in the first 24-48 hours following your osseous surgery procedure. Biting on a gauze pad placed directly on the wound for 30 minutes will help reduce bleeding. If you continue to bleed, contact our office. After 24 hours, we recommend that you use a warm saltwater rinse (approximately ¼ teaspoon salt in 8 ounces of water) 4-5 times each day following meals. You can also begin brushing the untreated areas of your mouth with a soft manual toothbrush after 24 hours.
You may also experience swelling and bruising. Use ice packs following your surgery to diminish the swelling, applying the ice for 15 min of ice followed by 10 min rest for 24 hours.
If you received sutures as part of your treatment, they may dissolve on their own. We will take any remaining sutures out at your post operative appointment.
Following your treatment:
- Avoid forcefully rinsing or spitting
- Do not drink through a straw
- Use all medications, including mouth rinses, as prescribed by Dr. Sean P Avera
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Stay away from spice, sharp, hard, and crunchy foods.
- Do not use any tobacco and Cannabis products for 24 hours following surgery
- Do not use alcohol in combination with any pain medications, including pain medications and antibiotics
- Keep physical activity to a minimum following your surgery
If you experience problems during our office hours, feel free to contact us. We will meet you as soon as possible. If you call with an emergency after hours, follow the instructions provided, and we will return your call as quickly as possible.
If you are experiencing a life-threatening emergency, call 911 or visit the nearest emergency room.
For more information about your post-operative care following osseous surgery (pocket depth reduction) in Auburn and Grass Valley, California, and to schedule a follow-up appointment with our periodontist, call our practice at 530-885-0953.