Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is an oral health condition arising from infections within your gums. Gum disease can take place over a period of many years and can often result in numerous ailments including eventual tooth loss. Risk factors for gum disease include the following:
– Gum disease can be caused due to heavy drug use, including chewing tobacco.
– If you rarely visit your periodontist for oral examinations, you will be at an increased risk for gum disease. This is due to the fact that they will be able to determine if any damage to your teeth has occurred.
– If you are a heavy smoker, you will be at an increased risk for gum disease.
– Not all risk factors of gum disease are easily preventable. This includes risks such as hormones, pregnancy, genetics, or diabetes.
– If you have a poor diet and continually eat unhealthy foods, you’ll be at an increased risk for gum disease.
– Numerous medications can increase your risk for dry mouth, which in turn increases your risk for gum disease.
Don’t wait until it’s too late for a gum disease treatment. If you would like to know if you need gum disease therapy, please book an oral exam with Dr. Sean P Avera and our team at Sean P Avera DDS Inc. at our periodontic office in Auburn, California, by calling us at 530-885-0953. We are here to help you get the perfect smile of your dreams!